While there are many anti-smoking campaigns that educate people on the harmful effects of smoking tobacco, less facts about smokeless tobacco are known or made readily available. Chewing tobacco is used by about 9 million people above the age of twelve in the United States.
As most people know, smokeless tobacco can and does cause cancer. But there remains a lot of facts about smokeless tobacco that are less well known. Below are eight facts about smokeless tobacco you may not have known about.
- Tobacco is the most grown plant in the world that is not used for food.
- Nicotine is known to be as addictive as heroin or cocaine.
- Every eight seconds, someone dies from tobacco.
- One can of tobacco gives you as much nicotine as 60 cigarettes.
- There are 28 cancer-causing substances have been found in smokeless tobacco.
- Long-term dippers are about 80% more at risk of developing oral cancers than non-users.
- Smokeless tobacco users have a 60% higher risk of pancreatic and esophageal cancer.
- Chewing tobacco is often traditionally fire cured which increasing the presence of carcinogens.
If you need help quitting chewing tobacco, there are a number of options available to you. One helpful product is BaccOff Tobacco Free Chew. It comes in a number of different flavors and can be a useful tool in fighting cravings and replacing the physical sensation of dipping.
Visit www.dipstop.com for more information.